Do you have some personal fitness goals for 2011?
~ Do you need a little ‘extra’ motivation/incentive?
~ Would you like a little (healthy) competition?
Join Stroller Strides®’ National “Get Fit Challenge”
This will be a 3 month-long challenge from January 3rd- April 3rd to see what changes you can make in your life to create a healthier, stronger, leaner you! Just think, you’ve already got the exercise part down (you may just need to step it up a notch or two at class) so now you just need to add in the proper eating habits. The best part is that you will have your fellow Stroller Striders encouraging you along the way so you are sure to succeed! The person
whom makes the most significant improvements in their fitness levels will be our “Get Fit Challenge Winner”.
Are you up for it?
Register NO LATER than January 2, 2011, at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. We will hold our initial fitness testing at Walker Ranch Park on January 3, 2011. This will determine what your starting fitness level is.
What Do the Fitness Tests TEST?
These tests will be done once at the beginning and then again at the end of the challenge.
1) Plank Test – Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor. Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air or sagging in the middle.
2) Shuttle run testing – Mark two parallel lines 30 feet apart and place two blocks of wood or similar object behind one of the lines. Students start behind opposite line. On the signal “Ready? Go!” the student runs to the blocks, picks one up, runs back to the starting line, places block behind the line, runs back and picks up the second block and runs back across starting line.
Shuttle run tip – Be sure the participants understand the importance of running through the finish line.
Shuttle run scoring – Blocks should not be thrown across the lines. Scores are recorded to the nearest tenth of a second.
3) Endurance run/walk testing – On a safe, one-mile distance, students begin running on the count “Ready? Go!” Walking may be interspersed with running. However, the students should be encouraged to cover the distance in as short a time as possible.
4) Right angle push-up testing – The student lies face down on the mat in push-up position with hands under shoulders, fingers straight, and legs straight, parallel, and slightly apart, with the toes supporting the feet. The student straightens the arms, keeping the back and knees straight, then lowers the body until there is a 90-degree angle at the elbows, with the upper arms parallel to the floor. A partner holds her / his hand at the point of the 90-degree angle so that the student being tested goes down only until her / his shoulder touches the partner’s hand, then back up. The push-ups are done to a metronome (or audio tape, clapping, drums) with one complete push-up every three seconds, and are continued until the student can do no more in rhythm (has not done the last three in rhythm) or has reached the target number for the PPFA.
Right angle push-ups tip – As with the pull-up, spend as little time in the starting position beforehand in order to increase the number of repetitions. Any extra movement may also decrease the number of repetitions.
Right angle push-ups scoring – Record only those push-ups done with proper form and in rhythm.
SUPPORT IS PARAMOUNT! Start telling your family and friends that this is something you are doing and that you need their support. Maybe your husband even wants to jump aboard the healthy lifestyle train with you? Make your health a priority…your family is counting on you!
SET UP AND VERBALIZE REALISTIC GOALS: Where would you like to see yourself in 3 months? This goal is different for everyone. We all have very different body types and everyone has a comfortable zone that they should be at. Know what that is for you and make it a healthy, reachable goal.
THE WINNERS will be the person(s) who demonstrates the most improvement in all the tests. This makes it fair for ALL body types, sizes and shapes to compete against each other in this challenge. PLEASE make sure you understand this.
SELF MOTIVATION: We will take care of giving you fantastic workouts at your Stroller Strides classes but the self motivating part comes from within you. You are on your own here because we are all so different and our likes and dislikes vary, you need to know what works best for you. For your nutritional intake, we will give you healthy recipe ideas and suggestions every week for the duration of the challenge. Remember, this is NOT A DIET but a lifestyle change that you commit to making to see results.
YOU AND STROLLER STRIDES AS A TEAM: You may NOT hire a trainer to help you during this challenge. You can attend Stroller Strides classes as much as you want and work out on your own as much as you want aside from classes at home or at a gym if you wish. You must be a current Stroller Strides member, instructor or playgroup captain to enter the challenge.
THE FINAL FITNESS TESTING will take place on April 4th, 2011 at Walker Ranch Park. Also take note that our Get Fit Reveal party will be in April, location TBA and YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN.
*NOTE: Before embarking on any fitness program, it is strongly recommended that you consult with your physician. Stroller Strides does not guarantee any specific results with this challenge.
(Stroller Strides of course!)
Healthy Eating Habits
Commitment and Consistency
Possibly a NEW and improved healthier you!!!
~ Good Luck Everyone ~
– a make up class will be scheduled for those who can not make the initial testing